Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Dutch Treat!


19/09/2012

Bonsoir mes amis!

It's the dinner hour here in France, but I wanted to post one more thing today for my dear friends!

I have been invited to a Women's Bible Study group with Eglise Evangélique Libre d'Orléans tomorrow evening.  It is called PEP.

The acronym stands for:

P = prière (Prayer)
E = étudier (Study)
    P = partage (Sharing)

I think it sounds kind of nice, and we are meeting in the home of a woman who actually teaches English, so I know there will be atleast one person there that can help translate for me if I get lost.

Anyway, they are having a light meal, so I asked what I could bring.  I was given the choice of anything, so I thought it was safe to stay with dessert, cookies or something, since I do like to bake and have recipes with me.  The trick is...finding all the ingredients for all my recipes...

Well, I knew just what might be a hit, and to my delight...the main ingredient is readily available here.  We snatched up a 150 gram package of Pâte d'Amande (aka almond paste)...perfect for my recipe, which I will share in a minute...

So, with these ingredients at hand, I have whipped up this Dutch Treat!



The recipe came from someone very special who has gone to be with the Lord now, (she was the first person to invite our family to dinner when we moved to Dallas) and I will share it with you now.


Doris' Almond Bars

To one cup of melted Butter,
Add one cup of shredded Almond Paste, and
Beat until smooth.

Then, add:
2 beaten Eggs
2 cups of Sugar
2 cups of Flour
1 tsp. Almond Extract (Flavoring)

Put into a greased 9X13 pan, and
sprinkle with 1-2 Tbsps. Sugar.

Bake 45 minutes in a 300 degree oven.

Let cool.  Cut them up and watch them disappear!





Mine are in the oven now!  I had to halve the recipe here in France, because I don't even have a 9X13 pan here.  I hope I have enough to bring to PEP tomorrow.  I'll have to hide them from Mr. Jewel and Jewel Jr!  Hee Hee!

Ooops!  There goes the buzzer now...and here they are!  They came out a little browner than usual, but I have to chalk that up to learning to get used to the oven here!  Enjoy!




Au Revoir!
Jan





4 comments:

  1. YUM, I'll have to try with GF Flour...I wonder if Almond Flour would work?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely! Do try to make it Gluten-Free. Great idea! The Almond Flour sounds perfect for the flavor, too!

      Delete
  2. I have been wanting this recipe for a while, I just need to find out where to get the shredded almond paste ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You might find almond paste in the baking aisle at the grocery store, or you can order through a Dutch Import Store online! Hope you find it!

      Delete