Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Back to the "Old Country"!





10/10/2012

Bonjour mes amis!

As promised yesterday, I'm going to share some details about our trip to the "Old Country", also known to me and my family as, The Netherlands, or Holland.  Last weekend, we decided to drive up to visit some of Dr. J's distant relatives who live in Friesland, which is in the north of Holland.  We arrived rather late because of the horrible "rush hour" traffic in Paris, but cousin Jewel was happy about our safe arrival, and provided warm greetings and comfortable beds.

Just look at the view I woke up to Saturday morning...



I quickly woke up Dr. J and told him to get up, because we were in Holland!!!  There was more for me to see when I got downstairs...

Hydrangeas...my favorite!





What a beautiful yard Garden, as they say in Europe!  We joined Cousin Jewel for a typical Dutch breakfast of cold cuts and cheese on a nice dark bread, with juice and coffee...and started to make our plans for the day...

Leeuwarden it is!

Here are some pictures from our wonderful day!

Cool old Buildings!
Quaint shops!

Nice Brick and Architecture!

Cool, Old Doors...one of my weaknesses!

Stained Glass!

Carvings!

Flowers and Wrought Iron Fences!

Pretty Street Views and Lamps!

Brick Roads!

Cafés to relax!

Nice, Strong Coffee and a Cookie!

Good Food...and Good Company!

Cousin Jewel told us that this was a Statue of "Our Dad", the founder of Friesland!

Another pretty Street view!

A Cheese Shop that we HAD to go in to!

...and the shop keeper is cutting some aged Cheese for us!

Tomorrow I'll be back to share a little more of Leeuwarden, since I realize this post got a little picture heavy!

Do let me leave you with one last picture though, since I couldn't resist having Dr. J take this one of me in front of yet another shop!


Have a "Jewel" of a day!
Jan

No comments:

Post a Comment